Welcome to the Calgary ATV Riders

Frequently Asked Questions

We try to anticipate questions you might have and provide the answers here. If you need additional information send us an email and we will be happy to answer any question you have.



Do I need a membership to come on a ride?

No. It is not maditory, but is recommended.  Without a membership you can not partake in the club sponsored BB-Q's or special events. We do like that after you attend an event for the first time that you purchase a membership and support the club, the events and work cara does throughout the year. 


Do you ride any other time beside the scheduled rides?

Yes.  Many of our members post ad hoc rides on our facebook page inviting other enthusiastic riders to join.  These rides are not sanctioned by CARA and are not under our rules or regulations.  Riders are responsible for themselves and should use common sence.  It is recommended that you post your experience level prior to joining one of these rides so others are aware of your skill level.


Can I have a fire in a Public Land Use Zones?

Yes. Responsible use of campfires for cooking or warming purposes is usually allowed. Campfires, in accordance with the Forest Prairie and Protection Act, are permitted within Public Land Use Zones (PLUZs). However, some PLUZs allow fires in designated camping areas only and/or have other restrictions. Please refer to the specific information provided for the PLUZ you will be visiting.

Note: Fires are not permitted when firebans are in effect. If available, use existing campfire facilities, portable camping stoves, or fire pits.


What activities are allowed in Public Land Use Zones?

In some Public Land Use Zones (PLUZs), motorized recreation is permitted.

In other PLUZs, motorized activity is not permitted. In these locations, most non-motorized activities are permitted within PLUZs, in accordance with the regulation. Some of these activities include:

  • Camping
  • Canoeing
  • Hiking
  • Hunting
  • Skiing

Refer to the PLUZ you plan to visit for regulations regarding the activities that are and are not permitted.


What is being done to ensure the regulations in Public Land Use Zones are being followed?

Alberta Sustainable Resource Development (SRD) staff engage recreationists through major community and recreation events to build understanding and awareness of PLUZ regulations and to encourage responsible use and stewardship.

Staff routinely patrol PLUZs to monitor compliance and provide information to recreational users on the “Respect the Land” programs and responsible recreation.

SRD Forest Officers, Fish and Wildlife Officers, and Seasonal Guardians partner with RCMP, Conservation Officers, Sheriffs and municipal enforcement officers to ensure public safety and responsible recreation throughout the province.

During peak periods, such as the May and September long weekends, additional resources are brought in through collaborative efforts with other departments and the RCMP.


What if recreationalists ignore regulations?

The Forest Recreation Regulation enables law enforcement officers to issue tickets and/or require a court appearance for contravention of the regulations. Offenders could face fines of up to $1000 per violation.

If you see activities that are not in alignment with the regulation of a PLUZ please contact the local SRD office.

Lead by example and encourage others to recreate responsibly.


Are there exceptions that may permit motorized vehicle access in Public Land Use Zones that have restrictions in place?

Yes, but only in the following circumstances:

  • Restrictions do not apply to vehicles involved in government resource management activities or vehicles used to transport sick, injured or deceased persons. Such motorized vehicles may be used in restricted areas.
  • Some motorized vehicles used by trappers are allowed within the limits of registered trapping areas. A permit is required and timing restrictions apply.
  • Ministerial approval may be given for motorized vehicle use for special research in a zone.
  • Motorized vehicles used for industrial activity are allowed by permit if a disposition has been approved for that activity by the Minister of Sustainable Resource Development (SRD).


Is industry activity allowed in Public Land Use Zones?

Yes. Industry operates under an existing regulatory framework that applies to all public land, including PLUZs.

This means that proposals for industrial development and activities within PLUZs are evaluated through review and approval processes that exist for all public land.

There are a variety of enforcement and remediation actions to address failure to comply with rules and regulations.


Can I build recreation structures on public land?

Structures and improvements to land within a Forest Land Use Zone must be approved by Alberta Sustainable Resource Development (SRD).

Failure to obtain departmental approval can result in enforcement actions.


What is considered a motorized user?

Collectively, motorized users are recreationalists who use Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV’s).